Sauerkraut is a staple in our fridge and I do buy it more often than making it myself but fermented cashew cheese is a treat, due to the price point. But it's a great source of gut-friendly bacteria, fats and protein I want it to be a staple each week too.
I am all about saving money but sometimes doing-it-yourself is too difficult but that's definitely not the case with this recipe.
I figured out how to make it myself and the best bit is I can actually use the sauerkraut we already have to start the ferment. No additional probiotic capsules necessary!
Check out how easy the recipe is below >>>
Fermented Cashew Cheese
- 2 cups cashews (soaked overnight in filtered water)
- 3-4 tbsp LIVING sauerkraut juice - I use the liquid from my store bought sauerkraut but make sure its the refrigerated kind and not shelf stable
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup filtered water
- seasoning: dill, coriander, fennel, smoked paprika, garlic powder... the cheese is your canvas!
- Rinse your cashews and add to a high powdered blender along with the kraut juice
- Start to blend, scrapping down the sides as you go
- Add water, slowly, until you get a beautiful smooth, cream cheese type consistency
- Scoop out of the blender into a big bowl and mix through your salt and seasonings
- Taste as you go - my tip, go a little further on the salt and flavours than you think. But if you’re nervous you can always adjust this after it has fermented
- Put your mixture into a super clean (no soap. Boiled water rinsed and dry) jar and try not to get any on the sides. If you do give it a wipe.
- Tap a little to remove bubbles and level the top then pour on olive oil to completely seal the top
- Place in a dark, room temp place where it won’t get knocked around for 2-3 days
- Depending on the temperature ( I had to wrap a tea towel around mine to make it happy) you will start to see air pockets form throughout and the top will expand and crack. That is the bacteria doing it’s beautiful thing
Taste and decide if it’s time to stop the process and refrigerate. It could be a little fizzy/sour/tangy
Once you’re happy, mixture it all up and keep in the fridge
Will last about a week but you can also keep it covered with oil and it would keep longer
Let me know if you love this recipe and as always tag @naked_paleo on socials with your creation